Sunday, October 09, 2005


"Great honor do men of this sort pay to the blessed martyrs, who, they think, are to be made glorious by trumpery tapers, when the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne, with all the brightness of His majesty, gives them light." - Vigilantius

I have posted this because it is just a way cool quote. I read about Vigilantius in a letter written by Ambrose (an early Catholic church father). In the letter, he is vehemently condemned by Ambrose for being an iconoclast - that is, someone who was opposed to the worship of icons or relics in the church; Ambrose, as you probably guessed, was a supporter of icons and relics (a "man of this sort"), and therefore he was determined to dirty Vigilantius' name. What I find great about his attempt, is that he quotes Vigilantius as saying the aforementioned quote and thus reveals Vigilantius' true heart: He wanted Christ to be worshipped, and not relics. I don't know all about Vigilantius and his background, but I thought it was a profitable thing to say considering we (the protestant church) still make much of idols and men of the faith, when it is Christ "with all the brightness of his majesty" who gives us light.

2 comments:

D.O. said...

I mean, first of all who knew you had a blog? what kind of dork has a blog? second: who knew you were a genius? I have no idea what I just read in that post... thanks for being one of my sexy friends.

Vanessa said...

Good Word! You can change the advertisements on your blog. Simply go to settings- comments, and then go down for word verification. Click yes. This will make all of your users type in the work verification before they can post. It prevents spam!