Sunday, September 18, 2005


The Beginning

I feel out of place, first of all. Most of these blog thingies seem to be for "artsy" kind of people who say great things (or not so great...?) and keep them up weekly; perhaps even daily. I would not consider myself artsy, nor do I have the time to be consistent with the updates for these things. Basically, I get the urge to write sometimes and my friend Zach started one of these bad boys, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Hopefully, profitable things will be written on it, so that those reading it will not consider it a complete waste of time and I can release my writing energy. (Zach's blog kills ten birds with three stones...I guess mine is only two with one. Zach wins again...) Most of the time what will be written are merely things that I am currently learning from Jesus, the One who miraculously pulled me from death into life and occupied my life with the worship and enjoyment of Himself.

I feel the need to explain the title of this blog. I was trying to think of an original title without trying too hard to be deep like most current bands do as their minds brew up an ingenious band name such as the "Lost Prophets" or "Screaming Monkeys". However, the title comes from the gospel of Mark, chapter 10 and verse 25: "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God." In context, Jesus had just confronted a man with the reality that his material possessions were his god. The man had asked Jesus how to inherit eternal life, yet he was not willing to give up simple things such as his wealth. The state of this man's heart, coupled with the teaching that we must forsake everything and follow Jesus, leads a person to one of two thoughts: 1) Receive Jesus as the greatest treasure in the universe and give your life to Him forever, or 2) I hope I can find either a tiny camel or a really large needle. Trouble is, the latter will leave you hopeless and without a new life in Christ. TRUTH is, Christians tend to think the second thought more than the first. We are called to a life of making Jesus our supreme treasure, ruler, friend, lover, sustainer, object of worship, Father, Savior, and Helper...but we try and hang on to our lawful, unprofitable, worthless worldly possessions in order to satisfy our desires. This is what I battle daily along with millions of other Christians. Sometimes we live as divided people, "unable to do the things we ought, and doing the very things we hate." What is posted in this blog will be things that the Lord is using to win that battle in my life; whether it is through rebuke, correction, encouragement, or deliverance.

No comments: