Monday, July 03, 2006

"What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but forfeits his life?" -Mt. 16:26

I had some thoughts on this verse this morning. It has been a struggle for me to amass hours at work lately. It's summer time and 30,000 students have left our small town; therefore, business is depleted. This is a bad thing seeing as how I am supposed to support a wife in the near future (12 days). The possibility of a second job is well within contemplation and my prayers have been filled with "Jesus, I trust in you to provide." And this is a good thing I suppose, for he does indeed promise to do so and by his grace he has given me faith in his promises.

However, I was thinking today about when he does provide, will it merely serve to meet my physical needs? Hopefully not, but I can see how I would let it do just that. God could provide in sovereign ways that astound me, yet I could reduce his actions to the base level of my met phyical needs, rather than seeing the provision and gazing upward into the eyes of my holy Creator and becoming enthralled with such a Being. If we reduce the provision of our God to its most base level, we miss out on meaning. And that is when the aforementioned verse applies I think: "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his life?" What good is it if our physical needs are met if we don't see meaning and love behind it? What good is the provision for our soul if we are not awestruck by the sovereignty of God in it? We must make the tranlsation from the physical level, to the spiritual in a very real and understandable way. Otherwise...I think we strip our soul of what it needs to survive.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Brandon,
I had similar thoughts this morning from a completely different arena of scripture. I have been reading in Phillipians, and in the end, Paul spends a great deal talking about how the church provided for his financial means. They were one of the first churches that came to the aid of Paul. He says at the end of the book,

Phil 4:
" 14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen."

As Paul writes, "Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit,", it quickly made me take note that our attitude towards money reflects an attitude of worship. He will provide for you and Bethan!

Verse 19- "And My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus". I am confident in this truth for you both!

Brandon said...

thank you for the encouragement V.

Brandon said...

I just wrote this, but I think it got erased:

Thanks for the encouragement V.

Brandon said...

nope...it didn't. Now it's there twice.