Monday, August 28, 2006


Jesus: The Sheep Door (An Interlude in the Posts About Money)

John 10:1 - "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber."

No, the man in the above picture is not Jesus...But, this morning I was thinking about this verse and all the other doors that people try and enter through, in order to become part of the sheepfold of God. I was thinking that there are those who try to blend in with the church by doing good deeds. Some try and rest in church attendance. And soon I thought to myself, some try and come through the door of "a relationship with Jesus". Now, many who read that may think..."Brandon, you are indeed blasphemous. Are you saying it is bad to have a relationship with Jesus?" Well, for those reading this...probably not. For those who are born again do indeed have a relationship with Jesus. But for many, this is a problem.

What I mean by this, is that the Bible NEVER teaches that a mere relationship with Jesus is what brings about salvation. In fact, I don't know that Jesus ever says to anyone, "To be saved, come...have a relationship with me." I think the dangerous part of this kind of talk is that many Christians say, "You must have A relationship with God." In other words, "there are many kinds of relationships...just choose one of them." This all may sound ridiculous, but I have talked to people who were raised in churches that taught "relationship instead of religion". They could talk to me till they were blue in the face about "knowing" Jesus and "having a relationship with him", yet they were not born again. Interesting how that happens, huh? But as I look at the gospel of "having a relationship" with Jesus, I notice that it is a gospel that the world can swallow quite easily. They think to themselves, "I have relationships with many people. In fact, I am quite good at relationships. I have a relationship with my wife, my kids, my parents, my boss, my secretary, my friends...I've got relationships coming out my ears!" And thus they construct a relationship with Jesus by their standards, not by God's.

If we are to talk about having a relationship with Jesus, we must also include the criteria of that relationship...you know, like Jesus did. He never told people to have a relationship with him, but he did say "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." He did say, "Turn from your sin." He did command people to "believe in the Son of Man." He did tell others that if they did not believe, "the wrath of God remains upon him." He also told people that they must be "born again to see the kingdom of heaven", and to "love God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength." But he never left anyone guessing with wishy-washy talk about having a relationship, which...if you think about it...is quite confusing and unclear.

Therefore, I think we need to be careful; because telling someone to just "have a relationship" with Jesus can often lead them through a door that is not The Door.

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

Brandon-
I get your perspective, but yet I don't fully understand your point. I am coming to the conclusion that you are frustrated with those billboard ads or platitude church comments that say its about a "relationship", and that the Gospel really is about the incarnation person of Christ who bore a wrath and requires us to see our sin and repent, but maybe you could delineate on your perspective.

And maybe this verse, "Now this is eternal life, that you may know the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent"

John 17:3

Vanessa said...

By the way, bro, I am not arguing with you, I want to grasp what you want your audience to embrace.

:)

Brandon said...

Great point, I never even thought you were being argumentative. What I mean is this: I'll use John 17:3 - There are specific things about knowing God that Jesus talkes about as well. In fact, if you read past verse 3 up to verse 8, Jesus explains that he has "given them the words that you gave me, and they have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed you sent me"; they "them" and "they" referring to his disciples. So, we can see that Jesus never left them with just the simple statement..."Have a relationship with me", but rather, he taught them what that was.

Basically, my point is, you can't just have "A" relationship with Jesus (implying a plurality of ways to go about it), but the relationship he requires and also grants. Therefore, it is truth to say that all who are saved indeed have a relationship with Jesus, yet it is a particular relationship spelled out in scripture.

Brandon said...

wow...i did some bad typing on there; hopefully you can understand it.

Brandon said...

so...i wrote this out more clearly I think:

Let me clarify two things:
1) Having a relationship with Jesus is necessary to be saved.
2) I have nothing against saying "I have a relationship with Jesus", but rather evangelizing in such a way that it becomes the only thing we say.

Here's why:
"A" relationship with Jesus is a bit unclear. What sort of relationship is this? Who says what goes? What are the demands? Who leads? What is my role? Is their love and treasuring involved, or just decisionistic commitments? Is it a bargaining relationship? If you read beyond John 17:3 (I use it only because that's the one you mentioned...which was well suited for this topic) up to verse 8 Jesus says that he has "given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me." So, even though Jesus says that we must know God, he never said ONLY that...rather, he described what that specifically means by talking about obedience, truth, faith, scripture, etc.

So, I guess what I am concerned with, is that many people have "A" relationship with Jesus; however, it is one they have contrived in their own mind and it is not the one Jesus demands and grants. More specific words are needed if some people are going to see that their "relationship" with Jesus includes no truth, obedience, faith, repentance, humility, love....etc.

Word? Word.

Vanessa said...

Brandon-
I am glad I asked because it clarified your position and gave it even more fire and depth- that we can have a relationship, not by our own distorted human view, but by his terms- worshippers who worship him and spirit and in truth...

Thanks for the clarification. I should be wise when sharing the Gospel to not overestimate that the hearer doesn't fully understand what a relationship with the Father looks like, but to define it within the confounds of scripture.

Amen!