Thursday, May 04, 2006

Spurgeon: A New Biography

I just finished this last night. As for how good it was, well...I couldn't put it down really. I read it in six days, which is by no means fast for some people; however, for myself - during finals - it is quite the quick read. The author, Arnold Dallimore, also writes a monstrous two-volume bio on George Whitefield, and I believe he also has a two-volume on Spurgeon too. But I picked up this condensed (240 pg.) version at the Together for the Gospel conference bookstore.

The man had quite an exciting life, exciting in the way that he submitted himself to the Lord in everything. I don't know that I've heard of a more full life outside Biblical characters. The man was pastor of a 4,000 member church by age 28 or so, he ran an orphanage, a widow's home, and a pastor-training school. He published a sermon for mass distribution each week, wrote and edited a magazine every month, preached ten times a week, and still sat down to answer an average of 500 letters per week (before computers and ball-point pens). I do not believe we should try and do what he did. I don't know of anyone who could actually handle that load (Al Mohler....?). Nonetheless, he contended for and preached the faith once for all delivered to the saints and did it with passion and zeal. If you get a chance, read the book (maybe even the whole two-volumes). I think we can glean so much from his genuineness.




No comments: