Monday, May 15, 2006

An Unshakable Promise

To deny the election of the saints, would be to deny certain promises of God that a Christian can not live without. The Lord revealed this to me in John 6:37,39 - "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out...And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day." I think many people are uncomfortable with the idea of election, because it is so utterly outside of man's power and man's control that it scares the life out of us - and rightfully so - therefore some try and just not read the parts of the Bible that deal with this teaching. However, looking at this verse (and the rest of the Bible) I think it's clear that if there is no election, then there is no promise that we will be raised up on the last day. Jesus speaks very pointedly here about God's will. And his will is that Jesus redeem those he has been given, and raise them up on the last day. However, if there is no election (thus removing "those whom Jesus has been given"), then how can there be those whom he will "raise up on the last day"? They go hand in hand; the promise of being raised on the last day is made out of the framework of election. Our coming to God is contingent upon him giving us to the Son. We are a chosen priesthood; unconditionally, and completely apart from our works, before the foundation of the world. We need not fear this in such a way that we try and salvage our imaginary "autonomy", but fear it in such a way that we bow to the Father and rejoice in the promises of the Son.

3 comments:

D.O. said...

yeah... yeah.

Brooke said...

hey cuz...
i like your blog. it's deep.

KS said...

Brandon,

This is the Living Hope Blogger list. Add this to your sidebar.
http://groups.blogdigger.com/groups.jsp?id=2973